Monday, September 9, 2013

Swing Guitar Comping Part One

I got a cool surprise last week when the Folk Alliance asked me to teach a couple of swing guitar workshops.  They are holding their conference and Winter Camp in February of this coming year and, lucky for me, like to use local musicians for teaching whenever possible.  After some showing off on my part at their store in the River Market here in balmy Kansas City, I got an email the other day asking if I would teach to which I obviously said: Yes!

Now, I'm needing to work through the workshop and create all the handouts and tunes info.  So, guess what, viewers.  I'm using you to experiment on!

Both of the workshops will be on beginner swing guitar technique, mostly rhythm (the biggest part of swing is the rhythm).  That said, basic prerequisites will apply:  Guitarists need to be familiar with basic 12 bar blues progressions, be able to play most bar chords, and understand the very basics of the major scale.

Okay, now that we are all on the same page, here we go with the first set of chords from the handout:
Take a look at that and memorize those chords shapes in the second line.  When I play swing guitar, this is my bread and butter.  It's used more often that you'd think.



I did a lot of explaining on the sheet, but there are a few extra little things you should hear to make this really make sense.

First, swing guitar usually exists in a four to the bar rhythm.  So, instead of a more complicated rock rhythm where we would use various sets of quarter notes and eighth notes. we use instead four quarter note strums for each bar.  The strums should be short and not really connected.  Think more like the hit of a snare drum rather than the hit of a cymbal.  The snare is short, the cymbal rings.  We want short.

Also, note that you are not using large six note voicings.  These smaller three note voicings are create a much tighter tone.  The strings "x's" on the chord shape should be muted with your fingers so they do not ring.  However, you do want a little bit of the percussive sound from the pick hitting the string itself.

Here is a short video of what I'm talking about in the four to the bar and muting the strings.



As for practicing, do this progressions in as many keys as you can.  I listed out the notes of the bottom two strings for you, but you should really memorize this so that you can quickly reference it in your head as you play.

Here is a good order for practicing the progression (I'm using the circle of fifths as a guide):

Am7 - D7 - Gmaj7 - G6
Em7 - A7 - Dmaj7 - D6
Bm7 - E7 - Amaj7 - A6
F#m7 - B7 - Emaj7 - E6 <-- This is best done at the twelfth fret
C#m7 - F#7 - Bmaj7 - B6
Abm7 - Db7 - Gbmaj7 - Gb6
Ebm7 - Ab7 - Dbmaj7 - Db6
Bbm7 - Eb7 - Abmaj7 - Ab6
Fm7 - Bb7 - Ebmaj7 - Eb6
Cm7 - F7 - Bbmaj7 - Bb6
Gm7 - C7 - Fmaj7 - F6
Dm7 - G7 - Cmaj7 - C6

As I noted above, when you get low enough on the fretboard that the shapes used require open strings, jump up an octave (12 frets) and work the shapes there.  This will actually make it easier to play in this style.

If you have any questions on this lesson, make sure to either email me or post a comment.  I'd be happy to answer anything you got.  Also, look for the next part of this series of lessons to be coming soon.

~Danny

P.S.: This occurred to me while recording the video.  We go from the Maj7 to the 6th chord during the four bars of comping as a way of keeping the movement going.  There is a more complicated explanation I could give, but this will due for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment